Denny Cherette began working in real estate in 1977 and has since developed or owned $600 million in project value and more than 5 million square feet. Throughout his career, Denny has focused on owning, developing, and managing large-scale, Class A apartment communities, ambulatory medical centers, medical offices, professional office buildings, banks, retail centers, and industrial facilities.
His position as an owner and investor offers a unique depth of insight and aligned interest with investors and clients. Denny is uniquely experienced in raising equity capital, managing investor relations, arranging project financing, and overseeing brokerage activities and negotiations. He spearheads strategic planning and execution, directs operational performance, and has worked in more than 25 national markets.
Denny founded Investment Property Associates (IPA) in 1985 and IPA Management in 1993, where he served as president and partner for more than 26 years. During his time with IPA, he grew the company into a development and management group with national reach that included over 130 employees; 5 million square feet owned or managed; 3,600 multifamily units and student housing beds; 900 units under development; as well as substantial investments in office, medical, and retail facilities.
In 2012, Denny established Cherette Group where he renewed his entrepreneurial passion for crafting complex transactions, providing national consulting services, launching new developments, and investing in West Michigan.
Denny holds a Master’s in Real Estate degree from Georgetown University. He has held the elite CCIM (Certified Commercial Investment Member) designation since 1987. He is a licensed real estate broker in the State of Michigan.
Denny is a live-long West Michigan resident where he is active in philanthropy and has been involved in the leadership of many community organizations, including the following:
- Chairman of the Board, Mercy General Health Partners
- Corporate Founding Member and Vice Chairman of the Board, Community Shores Bank
- Founding Member, Secretary, Osteopathic Foundation of West Michigan
- Chairman of the Board, Hospice of North Ottawa Community Foundation
- Member, Alliance for Health Evaluation Board
- Member, University of Michigan Pancreatic Cancer Center Advisory Board
- Chairman of the Board, Global Business Leadership Center
- Chairman, Economic Development Corporation of the City of Grand Haven
- Chairman, Grand Haven Brownfield Redevelopment Authority
- Chairman, Tri-Cities Soccer Association
- National Board of Directors, First Priority